Friday, May 27, 2016

Silver Tower Part I - Damsel, Hold The Distress

I mentioned in my previous post that the Bretonnians had no heroes in Age of Sigmar.  While this is true, there is some room for proxying.  The Damsel of the Lady (on foot) is actually a pretty good stand-in for the Dark Elf Sorceress.  To that end, I set about painting my one Damsel model.  In the spirit of the Brets, I made her dress white, her skin fair, and her hair fire-orange.  I adorned her with silver and blue for her trinkets and cloak, respectively.  Her gems are glowing Green, as her power draws from the Ghyran (green wind) of magic.  She is not quite finished - the base is incomplete, and the gems could use some 'ardcoat.  That being said, the model is one I am proud of, and is more than painted enough to bring to the table.

For this old Finecast model, this is the best "front" angle


The back is far more forgiving angle-wise
This past Friday, I went down to The Bunker to paint and hang out.  With a Silver Tower game going, I was invited to join in next round.  I got the sorceress rules on the Android App - the price was more than fair but I would have paid extra for a printout (especially the nice laminated ones the board game comes with).  At some point I'll probably just do it the old-fashioned way and write everything down (or type it up and print it out), but I digress.

My first time playing was a blast - we played through "Hysh - A cleansing Light."  Our party consisted of myself, an Excelsior Warpriest (the party healer, with a minion), a Knight Questor (a 'Tank' with solid damage potency as well), the Mistweaver Saih (DPS and disruption), and the Chaos Lord (a 'Bruiser'-style character).  We worked our way through the ever-changing dungeon, braving fearsome monsters and cursed dice rolls.  I rolled far better for the monsters than I did for my own character (even getting half of the party mortally wounded), but I had a lot of fun.  My strongest moment was probably throwing a Warpstone Bomb into a crowd of Horrors (a few Blues and one Pink) and Acolytes, killing six of the Warp-Mutated Bastards Species-Fluid Otherkin as the warp-dust cleared.

I learned a lot about how to play the game itself, and I learned a little about the Sorceress as a character class.  My experience can be roughly summed up as follows:

Pros:  
  • Great and reliable at stunning opponents from range (2+ to use, 2+ to hit).  This is a great way (I would argue your best way)  to add value to the team, especially since many of the maps are corridors.  It's easy to stun front-most opponents to prevent rest from attacking or getting good position.
  • Decent Damage (D3 damage on a 3+/3+) from range with Bladewind
  • Good movement, and great agility
  • Blood sacrifice lets you re-roll any/all of your hero dice in a pinch
Cons:
  • Very low armor save
  • Melee attack mostly just a way to burn a 1 if you have no other choice, and you shouldn't be close enough anyway
  • Power of darkness requires a 4+ to add 1 damage to Bladewind, but it's often statistically better (or at least as good) just to attack one more time using that 4+ dice.  Would be far more useful if you could burn 1's on it instead
  • Hard to generate renown with trait.  The odds of doing 6 or more wounds with Bladewind are low without Blood Sacrifice and/or fate dice.  Problem is exacerbated by fact that you are really REALLY useful for stuns, tearing you between earning renown and being a great utility mage.
Here are some rough stats behind Bladewind:
  • On a typical turn (i.e. one where you don't use blood sacrifice or fate dice and have 4 dice because you're in the back and therefore uninjured), 2/3 will be high enough to use Bladewind...this rounds roughly to 3 dice (~2.67), with 2 being eligible for Power of Darkness.  
  • Any given shot has a (2/3) chance of hitting and will deal 2 wounds on average (average of D3 is 2).
  • Your options are either to take 3 shots regular, or 2 better shots (D3+1, average of 3 damage because the '+1' is a given)
  • The Three-shot case has a best case of 9 damage, while the Two-shot PoD case has a best case of 8 damage and is less stable because it relies on one fewer roll.
  • The Three-shot case has an average of 4 damage (2 of 3 shots hit, do 2 damage a piece).  The Two-shot PoD case has an average of 4 damage (1.33 shots hit, doing 4 damage.  Of course, this will usually behave more like either 3 or 6, with favor toward 3.  Due to low sample size, it can't be treated as a normal distribution)
  • As these averages imply, Power of Darkness is only better on average when all 4 of your dice are good enough for Bladewind (c'mon Blood sacrifice!).  In this scenario, 2.66 hit times 2 damage = 5.33 (for No PoD) versus 2 hit times 3 damage = 6 with PoD.  Otherwise, it's more akin to a bold risk.  Fate dice make PoD even more favorable, of course.

From this analysis, it would seem that I need to be more willing to use Blood Sacrifice and the Fate dice to grab that sweet renown.  I was admittedly hesitant to use it as none of my hero dice rolls were particularly bad.  Also I just plain old need to roll better.

This Spooky Mr. Skeltal gets it.
All jokes aside, I am far from a power-gamer.  I merely find the stats interesting.  I intend to play plenty more Silver Tower games, repping Bretonnia hard.  I may also want to have a tank character just to mix things up a bit.  I like the Knight Questor rules, but I'm not so crazy about the model.  Luckily, Games Workshop actually has a dynamic sword-and-shield model to replace him.  He has hulking shiny armor, an engraved shield, a shimmery blade, and clearly has plenty of experience fighting daemons where they live.  He also looks Fucking Awesome.

Ahhh...there he is.  The hero we deserve.  Go ahead, tell me he couldn't find his way to the tower.

I'm also gonna dream up some 'home-brew' rules for the damsel, based off both the Dark Elf Sorcerer stats and the AoS Warscroll entry for the Damsel.  I'm thinking something more healing/protection oriented, but we'll see.

Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment